How To Have A Successful Divorce Mediation
Every couple divorcing in Florida is required to have at least one session in mediation to resolve any contested issues. A mediator is a neutral third party who is trained to help couples resolve areas of conflict peacefully and to reach an agreement in the least hostile manner possible. Many couples choose to divorce through the mediation process exclusively, some with excellent results. Some mediation sessions fail and couples must resort to more contentious means. There are ways a couple can increase the chances of success in divorce mediation.
Here are a few tips:
- Leave your anger at the door: Even if you are still angry at your ex, try to suspend the anger during a mediation session. Approach the meeting with compassion and patience, so the agreement takes on that tone. If you can’t resist throwing a chair, a punch or even an insult, mediation might not be right for you.
- Insist on meeting in a neutral location: Neither party should have a home-court advantage. Do not agree to meet in the office of one attorney or the other. Meet in a mutually agreed-upon place that is convenient to you both.
- Do not allow the mediator to force an issue: Remember that you employ the mediator. The purpose of mediation is to help you sort through your areas of disagreement and find a workable solution. The mediator’s agenda has no relevance to your process.
- Talk about your concerns: The mediation process provides an excellent opportunity for you and your ex to talk through your concerns, desires and plans for the future. If you have a vision, a suggestion or a strategy, share it.
- Be prepared: It is helpful to come to mediation with all documents and materials you might need, including budget balance sheets, tax returns, lists of assets, property deeds or anything else pertaining to your divorce.
- Listen: Active listening is an acquired skill for many people. Now is the time to learn to open up your mind to the other party’s ideas, consider them and weigh their value before you respond. Avoid speaking in an accusatory tone, interrupting or bullying to get your way. Your goal is for mediation to succeed, so you don’t end up in court at a later date.
Weiner & Weiss, LLC offers divorce mediation for all Southeast Florida clientele. We can help resolve your divorce issues in a peaceful and respectful environment.