561.391.1333 1900 Glades Road, Suite 351, Boca Raton, FL 33431
Weiner & Weiss, LLC
Competent Exceptional Accessible Compassionate

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support in Florida

Many people come to Weiner & Weiss, LLC with questions about paying and receiving child support in Florida. Here, we provide answers to some general questions about Florida child support laws, as well as information on enforcing child support orders.

How is child support determined in Florida?

In Florida, the amount of child support a parent may be obligated to pay, or entitled to receive, is based on guidelines defined by state law. These guidelines are standards used to figure out the support needed for a child and the amount a parent has to pay, and are designed to help make sure support amounts are fair. The Florida child support guidelines consider the income of each parent, the child's health care and child care costs, and the standard needs for the child. For more information please see our child support page.

Do fathers always pay child support after divorce?

At Weiner & Weiss, LLC, we represent both mothers and fathers in custody cases, and have helped many fathers achieve and maintain fair child support arrangements with their former spouses. While in some situations, mothers pay child support to custodial fathers, in the vast majority of cases, mothers are the custodial parents and non-custodial fathers pay child support. This may be the right arrangement for many families; however, it is not always fair or appropriate. Our goal is to obtain the result that meets our clients' needs.

How do I change a child support order?

A child support order is based on the income of both parents and the needs of the child. If one of these factors changes, support orders may need to be modified to reflect the parties' current circumstances. You may qualify for a support order review if your current child support order will not end within six months from when the Florida Department of Revenue receives your request for a modification; your support order has not been changed or reviewed in the last three years; or, you can show a significant change in your life, such as an increase or decrease in income or a change in your child's needs.

How can I enforce a child support order in Florida?

In Florida, enforcing a child support order means getting a parent to do what a child support order says. Some of the ways we can help clients enforce child support orders include:

  • Notifying the parent when he or she misses payments
  • Suspending a Florida driver's license
  • Taking IRS tax refunds
  • Taking Florida Lottery winnings if over $600
  • Taking support payments from workers' compensation and reemployment assistance
  • Telling employers to take payments from paychecks
  • Placing liens on the parent's car, boat or other property
  • Reporting past due support to credit agencies
  • Placing a hold and taking money from bank accounts
  • Taking the case to court
  • Working with the court to issue an arrest warrant

Please see our enforcement and contempt page for more information.

How can I learn more?

If you are considering divorce and have children, child support will likely be a factor in your case. Please contact Weiner & Weiss, LLC to learn more about Florida child support laws and how they will apply in your unique situation.

Weiner & Weiss, LLC
Weiner & Weiss, LLC
1900 Glades Road Suite 351 Boca Raton, FL 33431
561.391.1333 There Is No Substitute for Experience

Weiner & Weiss, LLC is located in Boca Raton, FL and serves clients in and around Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Palm Beach, Pahokee, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Loxahatchee, Pembroke Pines, Broward County and Palm Beach County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at Lawyers.com or Martindale.com.

LexisNexisLexisNexis, Martindale-Hubbell and the Knowledge Burst logo are registered trademarks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under license. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
© 2012 LexisNexis. All rights reserved.

Quick Contact Form
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.