561.391.1333 1900 Glades Road, Suite 351, Boca Raton, FL 33431
Weiner & Weiss, LLC
Competent Exceptional Accessible Compassionate

Domestic & International Relocation Cases in Florida

For divorced or separated parents, one parent's desire to move to another state or country—or even somewhere else in Florida—can have a significant impact on both parents' child custody and time-sharing rights. In some cases, receiving permission to move can be very challenging, as courts almost always try to avoid disrupting a child's living situation. At Weiner & Weiss, LLC, we have experience representing parents who wish to relocate, as well as parents seeking to stop their ex-partner from moving with their child.

Domestic Relocation

Florida's parental relocation statute significantly restricts the right of a parent to move away from the parent with whom the child spends less time. The law defines relocation as moving 50 miles or more from the residence of the other parent, even within the State of Florida. The parent who wants to move must file and serve a written notice upon the other parent, which includes the following information:

  • A description of the neighborhood and area
  • The address and phone number of the intended new residence
  • The date of the intended move or proposed relocation
  • The reasons for relocation (if one reason is based upon a written job offer, the offer must be attached)
  • A proposed time-sharing schedule and transportation arrangements

Proving that relocation should be granted is often difficult, especially if the other parent has been active in his or her child's life. However, receiving permission to move is more likely if an agreeable substitute parenting plan, including contribution toward transportation costs of the other parent, is provided.

International Relocation

Parents who want to relocate internationally generally come under more scrutiny from courts than parents making domestic moves, as judges take into account reasons for the move, distance, and conditions in the destination country. International laws regarding child custody must also be considered when one parent wants to move to another country with a child, either after divorce or at the time of separation.

For example, the Hague Convention, which governs nearly all European countries, provides for immediate return of children who are taken from their country of habitual residence in violation of custody rights. The Hague Convention also ensures that relocation and custody questions are decided in the state or country where the child has been living.

At Weiner & Weiss, LLC, our attorneys help mothers and fathers enforce their time-sharing rights across national and international borders. We understand the nuances involved in enforcing custody rights in Florida, the United States and around the world.

Contact Weiner & Weiss, LLC about Relocation & Custody Issues in Florida

If you need help with a relocation issue during or after divorce or separation, please contact Weiner & Weiss, LLC to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Hollywood, and throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties in southeast Florida.

Weiner & Weiss, LLC
Weiner & Weiss, LLC
1900 Glades Road Suite 351 Boca Raton, FL 33431
561.391.1333 There Is No Substitute for Experience

Weiner & Weiss, LLC is located in Boca Raton, FL and serves clients in and around Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Palm Beach, Pahokee, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Loxahatchee, Pembroke Pines, Broward County and Palm Beach County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at Lawyers.com or Martindale.com.

LexisNexisLexisNexis, Martindale-Hubbell and the Knowledge Burst logo are registered trademarks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under license. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
© 2012 LexisNexis. All rights reserved.

Quick Contact Form
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.