Experienced Boca Raton Divorce Attorneys Provide Strong Support
Dedicated family law firm assists clients in Broward and Palm Beach counties
Deciding to end a marriage can be extremely difficult, but hiring the right divorce attorney is the first step toward a resolution that relieves your burden. At Weiner & Weiss, LLC in Boca Raton, our attorneys have more than 40 years of combined experience in matrimonial law. We listen closely to the concerns of our clients in Broward and Palm Beach counties and then use the knowledge we’ve gained to help divorcing spouses start a new chapter successfully. You only have one chance to establish fair terms for key issues such as property division, alimony, and child custody, so it is important to be represented by an attorney with a proven track record. Our accomplished lawyers have earned extensive praise from colleagues, clients and professional publications. Whether your breakup is friendly or highly contentious, we will vigorously protect your rights and interests.
How to file for divorce in Florida
We provide personalized counsel to a diverse group of South Florida clients who are considering divorce. Based on your situation and priorities, our firm can advise you of legal matters including:
- No-fault divorce — Florida law no longer dissolves marriages on the basis of marital misconduct. Under the state’s no-fault rule, every divorce is granted on the basis of the union being irretrievably broken. However, problems such as adultery or substance abuse can be significant when a court makes determinations involving property division, alimony and child custody. Our firm can assess how these issues might affect your case.
- Residency — A party must have lived in the state for at least six months to file a Petition for the Dissolution of Marriage in the county where they reside.
- Contested and uncontested divorces — Certain couples who have agreed on property distribution and other terms can seek a Simplified Dissolution of Marriage under Florida law. However, just because a divorce is uncontested at the time of filing, the arrangements might have been negotiated over several months of contentious communication.
- Mandatory mediation — Divorce trials can place a strain on both litigants and the court system. Accordingly, both Palm Beach and Broward counties require at least one mediation session before the date for a divorce trial can be set. Unlike couples counseling, where the goal is to save the relationship, this is a process where parties receive professional assistance to reach consensus on matters such as child custody, child support, alimony and property division.
- Settlement or trial — When our clients’ goals can be achieved through consensus, we press for a positive settlement. If that is not possible, our firm presents a compelling case to the judge.
As an accomplished family law firm, we can find creative ways to achieve a favorable outcome. Our firm is committed to providing open communication and answering all of your questions in a clear manner.
How long does a divorce take?
Every divorce presents a unique combination of issues and challenges, so it is impossible to set a specific timeframe, but our knowledgeable attorneys can help you understand what to expect. Uncontested matters might be resolved in as little as five or six weeks. Complex cases can run longer than a year, but no matter what the particular situation entails, we respect each client’s needs and work diligently to minimize the time and expense involved.
Knowledgeable advocates handle custody, support and property issues
Our firm delivers supportive guidance throughout the entire divorce process, ensuring that our clients' interests are always protected. This includes providing skillful advocacy in disputes relating to:
- Child custody — We are strong litigators who work tirelessly to reach resolutions on time-sharing and legal authority that are truly in the best interests of children.
- Alimony — Many factors can affect decisions on spousal maintenance, including duration of the marriage and each party’s earning ability. Our firm will apply the law to your circumstances and argue for an appropriate resolution.
- Property division — Florida is an equitable distribution state, which means property will be divided fairly but not necessarily equally. Our firm delivers a comprehensive case so that you can obtain a fair share of the marital property.
Don’t hesitate to the get the information you need to safeguard yourself and your children. We will outline your legal options.
Contact an accomplished South Florida divorce lawyer to schedule a meeting
Weiner & Weiss, LLC represents Florida clients in all types of family law matters, including divorces, child custody conflicts and post-judgment actions. Please call or contact us online to schedule an appointment at our Boca Raton office.
Could not have asked for a better attorney. I dealt with an extremely difficult and tedious divorce. Gary and his team were always thorough and fully prepared. Always at the top of their game and always treated me as a top priority as they do all their clients. Recommend Gary Weiner as the attorney to handle your divorce if you need it done right!!!!
- Zachary B., ★★★★★
Scott Weiss is always knowledgeable and reachable when I have a question. I have referred clients to him and will continue to refer clients!
- Ian S., ★★★★★
Scott is a professional who is well-liked, collegial in a highly adversarial field. He has been mentored by an excellent lawyer and although still a younger lawyer he is fast gaining experience in complex matrimonial matters. He has moved beyond second chair to handling matters on his own. He is a pleasure to work with.
- Anonymous, ★★★★★
Scott is not only a great lawyer, but he is also very involved in the community.
- Anonymous, ★★★★★