Search Site
Post Judgment Modification

Post-Judgment Modifications of Child Custody, Child Support & Spousal Support

After a divorce is finalized, court orders are issued to lay out the terms of ongoing interactions between former spouses, including arrangements for child custody, child support and spousal support. However, peoples’ lives inevitably change, and plans established at the time of divorce may not be feasible years later. At Weiner & Weiss, LLC, we help clients seek post-judgment modifications that reflect major lifestyle changes.

From our offices in Boca Raton, we serve southeast Florida’s coastal communities in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

A change in circumstances may warrant a change to a divorce decree

Before a divorce can be finalized, issues such as alimony, child support and child custody need to be resolved. The law takes into consideration that following a divorce, life moves forward, often in directions unforeseen at the time of divorce. When a significant or “material change” in circumstances affects the operability of a custody or support arrangement, either party to a divorce decree may seek a modification of the court order. Possible examples of a material change in circumstances include:

  • One parent decides to relocate, and move out-of-state or far from the other parent.
  • A former spouse remarries or begins to cohabitate with another person.
  • A former spouse loses his or her job, or gains new employment or a promotion.
  • A child’s needs change, including cases in which a child develops special needs.
  • One parent is interfering with a child’s relationship with the other parent.
  • A party’s physical or mental condition has deteriorated, such as by drug or alcohol abuse.
  • A party is convicted of a crime.

Our lawyers understand that dealing with an unworkable custody or support arrangement can cause great stress for our clients. Therefore, we work as quickly as possible to procure appropriate changes to divorce orders that meet our clients’ current needs.

Modification of child custody orders for relocation

If one parent seeks to relocate with a child, he or she must meet an especially high burden of proof, showing not only that the move is in the best interests of the child but also that it will not harm the child’s relationship with the other parent. For post-judgment relocations with young children, receiving permission to move is even more difficult for the petitioning parent. Despite these challenges, we have helped clients obtain modifications allowing for relocation; we have also helped clients prevent the other parent from moving with their child. Please see our domestic and international relocation page for more information.

Contact an experienced family lawyer in Boca Raton

If you need to pursue the modification of a court order after divorce, please contact Weiner & Weiss, LLC. We will take the time to understand your unique circumstances, and determine the best way to present your case so you can achieve the result you want.

Our Attorneys
  • "Could not have asked for a better attorney. I dealt with an extremely difficult and tedious divorce. Gary and his team were always thorough and fully prepared. Always at the top of their game and always treated me as a top priority as they do all their clients. Recommend Gary Weiner as the attorney to handle your divorce if you need it done right!!!! " - Zachary B.,★★★★★

  • "Scott Weiss is always knowledgeable and reachable when I have a question. I have referred clients to him and will continue to refer clients!" - Ian S.,★★★★★

  • "Scott is a professional who is well-liked, collegial in a highly adversarial field. He has been mentored by an excellent lawyer and although still a younger lawyer he is fast gaining experience in complex matrimonial matters. He has moved beyond second chair to handling matters on his own. He is a pleasure to work with." - Anonymous,★★★★★

  • "Scott is not only a great lawyer, but he is also very involved in the community." - Anonymous,★★★★★