Search Site
Contempt & Enforcement

Contempt & Enforcement of Custody, Child Support & Alimony Orders in Florida

Court orders and final judgments covering time-sharing, support and other divorce issues must be followed except in very extreme circumstances. Unfortunately, however, people do not always comply with—or cannot comply with—the terms of court orders. At Weiner & Weiss, LLC, our lawyers represent people seeking to enforce court orders related to divorce and custody, as well as those defending against contempt and enforcement actions.

Florida Procedure for Filing a Motion for Civil Contempt/Enforcement

To enforce a prior court order or final judgment for time-sharing (custody), child support or alimony, you may file a Motion for Civil Contempt/Enforcement. In the motion, you must explain what the party has failed to do, such as denying access to your child during scheduled parenting time or failing to pay child support.

Along with filing the Motion with the county court where your case is being handled, you must personally serve the motion to any other parties in your case. This puts the parties on notice that you are taking legal action.

After you file the Motion for Civil Contempt/Enforcement, the court will set a hearing date. Once you know the time and date of the hearing, you must again serve notice on other parties in your case. At the hearing, you will have the burden of proving that the other party has not obeyed the court order or final judgment, while the other party has the opportunity to show an inability to comply with the court order. If the other party is not able to show inability to comply, he or she may be found in contempt, which means the judge may order appropriate sanctions to compel compliance, such as:

  • Jail time
  • Payment of attorneys’ fees, suit money or costs
  • Coercive or compensatory fines
  • Any other relief permitted by law

The attorneys at Weiner & Weiss, LLC have helped many clients enforce court orders for time-sharing and support payments; we also have experience defending people who are unable to comply with a court order after divorce.

Enforcement Tools for Recovering Child Support Payments

It is the law in Florida that every child has the right to financial support from both parents until the age of 18, and that child support be paid on time and in the full amount. If a parent is not complying with a child support order, the state’s Child Support Enforcement Program uses many tools to make sure the parent pays the support. These include:

  • Income deduction
  • New hire reporting
  • Driver, hunting and fishing license suspension
  • Intercept or seizure of assets
  • Liens
  • Contempt of court
  • Arrest warrants

We help clients interface with the Child Support Enforcement Program to ensure child support enforcement is handled appropriately.

Contact us for more information about contempt & enforcement in Florida

If you need help enforcing child support payments or time-sharing arrangements in Florida, please contact Weiner & Weiss, LLC in Boca Raton. We can also help if you have been served with a Motion for Civil Contempt/Enforcement.

Our Attorneys
  • "Could not have asked for a better attorney. I dealt with an extremely difficult and tedious divorce. Gary and his team were always thorough and fully prepared. Always at the top of their game and always treated me as a top priority as they do all their clients. Recommend Gary Weiner as the attorney to handle your divorce if you need it done right!!!! " - Zachary B.,★★★★★

  • "Scott Weiss is always knowledgeable and reachable when I have a question. I have referred clients to him and will continue to refer clients!" - Ian S.,★★★★★

  • "Scott is a professional who is well-liked, collegial in a highly adversarial field. He has been mentored by an excellent lawyer and although still a younger lawyer he is fast gaining experience in complex matrimonial matters. He has moved beyond second chair to handling matters on his own. He is a pleasure to work with." - Anonymous,★★★★★

  • "Scott is not only a great lawyer, but he is also very involved in the community." - Anonymous,★★★★★